- ClinPsyD - University of East Anglia, UK
- PhD - University of London, U.K.
- MA - University of Cambridge, U.K.
- BSc - University of Birmingham, U.K.
Adjusting to Young Motherhood Study
This substudy of the PGS funded by the National Institute of Mental Health (MH071790: Hipwell) started in 2005 and included teenage mothers aged 12-19 years and their infants. The study investigated: 1) mental health problems as precursors to teenage pregnancy; 2) childhood risks for postpartum psychopathology utilizing prospectively gathered PGS data; and 3) the reciprocal processes between teenage parenting, maternal psychopathology and infant emotion and behavioral regulation and development. The study was completed in 2013.
PGS Mother-Baby Study
This PGS substudy funded jointly by the National Institute of Child Health and Development and the National Institute of Mental Health (HD067185) began in 2011. The goals of this study are to: 1) elucidate the neural signature of postpartum depression and impairments in maternal caregiving; 2) explain heterogeneity in postpartum affective neural functioning from child and adolescent psychosocial factors and own parenting experience; and 3) explore the extent to which postpartum neural response explains subsequent maternal sensitivity at 6 months.
- Hipwell, A.E., Stepp, S., Feng, X., Burke, J., Battista, D., Loeber, R. & Keenan, K. (2011). The impact of ODD dimensions on the temporal ordering of conduct problems and depressed mood across childhood and adolescence in girls. Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry, 52, 1099-1108.
- Hipwell, A.E., Sapotichne, B., Klostermann, S., Battista, D. & Keenan, K. (2011). Autobiographical memory as a predictor of depression vulnerability in girls. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 40, 254-265.
- Obradovic, J. & Hipwell, A. E. (2010). Psychopathology and Social Competence during the transition to Adolescence: The role of Family Adversity and pubertal development. Developmental Psychopathology, 22, 623-636.
- Hipwell, A.E., Stepp, S., Chung, T., Loeber, R. & Keenan, K. (online May, 2010). Brief Report: Parsing the psychosocial heterogeneity of adolescent sexual behaviors. Journal of Adolescence.
- Hipwell, A.E., Keenan, K., Battista, D. & Loeber, R. (2010). Early predictors of sexually intimate behaviors in an urban sample of young girls. Developmental Psychology, 46, 366-378.
- Hipwell, A.E., Keenan, K., Kasza, K., Loeber, R., Stouthamer-Loeber, M. and Bean, T. (2008). Reciprocal influences between girls' conduct problems and depression, and parental punishment and warmth: A six year prospective analysis. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 36, 663-677.
- Hipwell, A.E., Pardini, D., Loeber, R., Sembower, M., Stouthamer-Loeber, M., & Keenan, K. (2007). Callous-Unemotional Behaviors in Young Girls: Shared and unique effects relative to conduct problems. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 36, 293-304.
- Hipwell, A.E., & Loeber R. (2006). Do we know which interventions are effective for disruptive and delinquent girls? Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review, 9, 221-255.
- Hipwell, A.E., Murray, L., Decournau, P. & Stein, A. (2005). The effects of maternal depression and parental conflict on children's peer play. Child: Care Health and Development, 31, 11-23.
- Hipwell, A.E., Reynolds, S. & Crick, E. (2004). Cognitive vulnerability to postnatal depressive symptomatology. Journal of Reprodive and Infant Psychology, 22, 211-227.